Treats periodontitis (infection of the gum). This medicine is a tetracycline antibiotic.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone, You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to doxycycline or any tetracycline antibiotic, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A dentist or other healthcare professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is injected below your gum line.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Birth control pills may be less effective while you are receiving doxycycline.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor or dentist if you are breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, HIV, or a weak immune system. Also tell your doctor or dentist if you are receiving treatment for cancer, or have a history of fungal infections in your mouth (such as oral candidiasis or thrush).
- Do not brush or use dental floss on the treated area for 7 days after treatment.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe discomfort or swelling in your mouth
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Sore mouth, teeth, or gums
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.