Antimuscarinic combination (By mouth)
Treats symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Also treats colitis, peptic ulcers, or other digestive problems. Often used with other medicines.
Donnatal, Librax, RE-PB Hyos, Antispasmodic, Se-Donna PB Hyos, Belladonna/Phenobarbital, Quadrapax, ColytrolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to atropine, chlordiazepoxide, clidinium, hyoscyamine, phenobarbital, or scopolamine, or any other belladonna alkaloid medicine. You should not use this medicine if you have glaucoma (increased pressure in your eyes), or if you have porphyria. You should not use this medicine if you have an enlarged prostate or trouble urinating, or if you have myasthenia gravis. You should not use this medicine if you have hiatal hernia or certain intestinal problems, such as a blockage in your bowels, or if you have severe colitis (inflammation of the bowel) that has caused ulcers.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Liquid, Long Acting Tablet, Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using a blood thinner medicine, such as warfarin (Coumadin®), or if you are also using other medicines to treat your ulcer or digestive problem.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney or liver problems. Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart problems or high blood pressure, or if you have hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland). Before starting to use this medicine, let your doctor know if you have diarrhea.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may make you sweat less. Your body could get too hot if you do not sweat enough. Stay out of hot places. Try to stay indoors or somewhere cool during hot weather. If you have a fever, call your doctor for advice. If your body gets too hot, you might feel dizzy, weak, tired, or confused. You might have an upset stomach or vomit. Call your doctor if you are too hot and cannot cool down.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast or uneven heart beat.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Decrease in how much you sweat.
- Decrease in how often and how much you urinate.
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling bloated.
- Feeling unusually angry, excited, nervous, or weak.
- Nausea, vomiting, or constipation.
- Pain in your bones or muscles.
- Unable to sleep.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.