Dextrose (DEX-trose), Dopamine (DOE-pa-meen)
Treats blood circulation problems caused by heart failure, heart attack, surgery, kidney failure, low blood pressure, infection, or trauma.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dextrose, dopamine, or corn products. You should not receive this medicine if you have pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland) or irregular heart rhythms.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have used a MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®) in the last 21 days. Tell your doctor if you use, medicine for depression such as amitriptyline, imipramine, Norpramin®, or Vivactil®. Make sure your doctor know if you are using blood pressure medicine such as atenolol, metoprolol, Inderal®, or Toprol®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using diuretics or "water pills" (such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, Aldactazide®, Aldactone®, Dyazide®, Hyzaar®, Lasix®, Maxzide®, Moduretic®). Tell your doctor if you use haloperidol or phenothiazines such as Compazine®, Phenergan®, Serentil®, Thorazine®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma, diabetes, or any allergy.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have blood vessel disease such as atherosclerosis, arterial embolism, Buerger's disease, Raynaud's disease, or low blood pressure.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pain, itching, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Pounding heartbeat.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or headache.
- Mild skin rash.
- Nausea or vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.