Lidocaine (By mouth)
Relieves pain caused by cold sores or fever blisters.
Advanced DNA Medicated Collection Kit, First-BXN Mouthwash, First-Mouthwash BLM, LTA Preattached, Xylocaine, Zilactin-LThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lidocaine, procaine, butacaine, benzocaine, or other anesthetics (numbing medicine).
How to Use This Medicine:
Powder, Liquid, Kit, Spray
- Take your medicine as directed.
- For best results, use the medicine when you first feel early signs of a cold sore such as tingling, itching, or burning.
- To use, drop several drops of the medicine on a cotton swab and dab it onto the affected area. Allow the medicine to dry for 15 minutes.
- Do not apply this medicine in large quantities over raw or affected areas.
- This medicine is flammable. Do not use this medicine near heat, fire, or open flame.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.Do not use this medicine for more than 7 days.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- You should not use this medicine on a child under 2 years of age without a doctor's approval.
- Do not get this medicine into your eyes. If it does, rinse your eyes with water for ten minutes and call your doctor right away.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Swelling, rash, or fever.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.