Relieves pain. This medicine is a narcotic.
BuprenexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to buprenorphine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins or as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any leftover medicine, containers, and other supplies. Throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many medicines can affect how buprenorphine works. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using, especially the following:
- An MAO inhibitor (MAOI)
- Carbamazepine, valproic acid, or phenytoin
- HIV/AIDS medicine
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney, liver, or lung disease, an underactive thyroid, an adrenal gland problem, a spine deformity, problems with urination, an enlarged prostate, or a history of mental illness. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a head injury, brain tumor, or stroke.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision or double vision
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Severe vomiting or stomach pain
- Shallow breathing, bluish skin or lips
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or depression
- Headache, confusion, ringing in your ears
- Increased sweating
- Mild nausea, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.