Betamethasone valerate (On the skin)
Betamethasone Valerate (bay-ta-METH-a-sone VAL-er-ate)
Treats swelling and itching of the skin. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
LuxiqThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to betamethasone.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Foam, Lotion, Ointment
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
- Before using this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you are using other steroid medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have diabetes. This medicine may raise the levels of sugar in your blood or urine.
- Children may be more likely to have side effects from this medicine.
- This medicine may slow down a child's growth. If you think your child is not growing properly while using this medicine, talk with your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bulging of the soft spot on a baby's head (if using this medicine on the baby).
- Gaining weight around your neck, upper back, breast, face, or waist.
- Headaches and problems with vision.
- Signs of skin infection, such as swelling, redness, warmth, pus, or oozing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne or tiny pimples on the skin.
- Burning, itching, or irritation of your skin where the medicine is applied.
- Changes in the color of your skin.
- Dry skin.
- Excessive hair growth.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.