Phenytoin sodium, prompt (Injection)
Phenytoin Sodium, Prompt (FEN-i-toin SOE-dee-um, promt)
Prevents and treats seizures.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to phenytoin. You should not receive this medicine if you have heart rhythm problems.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other medicines that can cause medical problems if you use them together with phenytoin. Tell your doctor about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, or low blood pressure.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash.
- Chest pain or slow heartbeat
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Lumps in your armpits, neck, or groin.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Tremor or seizures.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, confusion, nervousness, or trouble sleeping.
- Increased hair growth.
- Loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or constipation.
- Headache or mild fever.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your arms, legs, or feet.
- Pain, itching, swelling, or burning under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Problems with balance or walking.
- Problems with speech.
- Twitching or muscle movements you cannot control.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.