Hydrocortisone (hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone), Lidocaine (LYE-doe-kane)
Treats itching, swelling, or pain caused by hemorrhoids or other reasons. This medicine is a combination of a steroid and an anesthetic.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lidocaine or hydrocortisone. You might not be able to use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to a numbing medicine or topical steroid in the past. You should not use this medicine to treat skin problems caused by a fungal infection, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, herpes, or certain other infections.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine comes in a single use tube with an applicator. Use each tube and applicator once, then throw away.
- This medicine is for rectal use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, mouth, or ears. If it does get in these areas, rinse it off right away.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine applicator(s), containers, and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine to treat heart rhythm problems such as disopyramide, flecainide, procainamide, quinidine, Norpace®, Procanbid®, Rythmol®, or Tambocor®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have liver disease.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.