Treats or prevents skin infection caused by certain bacteria. This medicine also treats blood infections and certain heart disease (such as right-sided infective endocarditis) caused by Staphylococcus aureus. This medicine is an antibiotic.
CubicinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to daptomycin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins. This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will remain in place for about 30 minutes.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
If a dose is missed:
- Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine to lower cholesterol (such as atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, Lescol®, Lipitor®, Pravachol®, or Zocor®) or certain antibiotics (such as tobramycin or Tobrex®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, muscle problems, nerve problems, or if you are on dialysis.
- Call your doctor right away if you develop chest pain, dry cough, fever, general feeling of tiredness or weakness, rapid breathing, shortness of breath, skin rash, or wheezing after receiving this medicine. These may be symptoms of a serious condition called eosinophilic pneumonia.
- If you have severe diarrhea, ask your doctor before taking any medicine to stop the diarrhea. Check with your doctor right away if the diarrhea continues. Diarrhea may occur 2 months or more after you stop receiving this medicine.
- If you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness while receiving this medicine, check with your doctor right away.
- Check with your doctor right away if you are having burning, numbness, tingling, or painful sensations in the arms, hands, legs, or feet after receiving this medicine. These could be symptoms of a condition called peripheral neuropathy.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments. Blood and urine tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning while urinating, or a decrease in how often or how much you urinate.
- Chest pain.
- Dry mouth, muscle cramps, or nausea or vomiting.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially in your arms or legs.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweat, and bluish-colored skin.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Troubled breathing or wheezing.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety or increased sweating.
- Constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, stomach pain, or upset stomach.
- Joint pain, back pain.
- Skin rash or itching.
- Trouble sleeping.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.