Used during a medical test for allergies.
HistatrolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have severe heart disease, breathing problems, kidney disease, low blood pressure, or severe high blood pressure.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine as a shot into your skin.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have used allergy medicine in the past 40 days, such as astemizole, chlorpheniramine, or diphenhydramine (Benadryl®). Tell your doctor if you have used medicine to treat depression within the past few weeks, such as amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using cromolyn, dopamine, ephedrine, propranolol, terbutaline, or theophylline. Tell your doctor if you are using steroid medicine such as dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone, or Medrol®.
- There are many other medicines that may interfere with this allergy test. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicine you have used in the past 6 weeks.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pale or blue skin or lip color.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Skin rash.
- Vomiting or stomach cramps.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.