Belladonna alkaloids/caffeine/ergotamine/pentobarbital (Rectal)
Belladonna Alkaloids (bell-a-DON-a AL-ka-loyds), Caffeine (KAF-een), Ergotamine (er-GOT-a-meen), Pentobarbital (pen-toe-BAR-bi-tal)
Treats migraine headache.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to belladonna alkaloids, caffeine, ergotamine, or to pentobarbital. You should not use this medicine if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, or a blood vessel disorder. You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Never take rectal suppositories by mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Remove the foil or wrapper from the suppository before inserting it.
- To make the suppository easier to insert, you may use a lubricating gel such as K-Y® Jelly, but do not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline®).
- Lie on your left side with your left leg straight or slightly bent, and your right knee bent upward. Gently push the pointed end of the suppository into the rectum about 1 inch.
- Keep lying down for about 15 minutes to keep the suppository from coming out before it melts. Then, wash your hands again.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- You may store the suppositories in the refrigerator, but do not freeze them.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine applicator(s), containers, and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many drugs that can interact with this medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching, swelling, or irritation around your rectum.
- Muscle pain, sudden and severe pain in your lower leg (calf) while exercising, or weakness.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Numbness, tingling, or bluish color of your finger or fingernails.
- Problems with vision.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.