Mupirocin calcium (Into the nose)
Mupirocin Calcium (mue-PIR-oh-sin KAL-see-um)
Treats bacterial infections in your nose.
BactrobanThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to mupirocin calcium.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Put 1/2 of medicine in one nostril and the other half in the other nostril.
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- This medicine is to be used only one time. Throw the tube away after you use it.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using an nose drops, nose sprays, nose gels or other nose ointments.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- This medicine should not be used in children under 12 years old, unless prescribed by your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Burning, itching, or bleeding of your nose.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, or body aches.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in taste or dry mouth.
- Headache, nausea, or diarrhea.
- Mild rash or itching.
- Runny or stuffy nose.
- Irritation or burning in your eyes or eyelids.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.