Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to colchicine. You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant. You should not use this medicine if you have a stomach disorder or heart disease, liver disease, or kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any type of stimulant or blood pressure medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breast feeding. or if you have kidney disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have recently taken colchicine.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Avoid people who are ill, and wash your hands often. Brush and floss your teeth gently, do not play rough sports, and be careful with sharp objects.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black tarry stools.
- Chest pain or burning pain in your throat.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Severe muscle weakness or stiffness.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Vomiting of material that looks like coffee grounds.
- Weakness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite.
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness.
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or mild diarrhea.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.