Treats swelling caused by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis of the liver, hormone therapy, or steroid medicine.
PremierPro RX Chlorothiazide Sodium, Sodium DiurilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to chlorothiazide or to sulfa drugs (such as Bactrim®, Cotrim®, or Septra®). You should not use this medicine if you cannot urinate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using digoxin (Lanoxin®), lithium, or blood pressure medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a steroid medicine, insulin, or diabetes medicine that you take by mouth.
- There are many other drugs that can interact with this medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, asthma, lupus, or gout.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have recently had surgery.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash.
- Bloody in your urine, or change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, or body aches.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach.
- Pain, burning, itching, or irritation where the needle is placed.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Patchy hair loss.
- Constipation or diarrhea.
- Headache or joint pains.
- Mild nausea, loss of appetite, mild stomach pain.
- Numbness in your feet, legs, or arms.
- Problems with sex (in men).
- Problems with your vision.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.