Barium sulfate (By mouth)
Used during a medical test or imaging procedure to help organs or other body parts show up better.
E-Z-DISK, E-Z-Disk, E-Z-HD, E-Z-Paste, Readi-Cat 2, VolumenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to barium, or if you have a stomach or intestine disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid, Cream, Tablet
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- You will swallow the barium liquid just before a CT scan or x-ray.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have asthma, high blood pressure, heart disease, or a history of aspiration.
- Your doctor may tell you not to eat or drink anything the night before your test. Barium will work better if your stomach and intestines are empty.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or coughing up blood
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, or trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, fainting, or unusual weakness
- Pale skin and blue lips or fingernails
- Sudden, severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting with fever
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Confusion, feeling anxious or agitated
- Ringing in your ears
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.