Treats asthma and other lung diseases.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to aminophylline, theophylline, or ethylenediamine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using carbamazepine (Tegretol®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), erythromycin (E-Mycin®), rifampin (Rifadin®), or tacrine (Cognex®).
- There are many other medicines that can interact with this medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have heart rhythm problems, congestive heart failure, lung disease, liver disease, kidney disease, stomach ulcer, underactive thyroid, or high fever.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had seizures or if you have a history of smoking.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash.
- Bloody vomit.
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting.
- Fast or uneven heartbeat.
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Rapid or trouble breathing.
- Seizures or tremors.
- Severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or trouble sleeping.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Muscle pain, tiredness, or weakness.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.