Numbs your mouth for dental work.
Citanest Plain DentalThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to prilocaine. Tell your dentist if you are allergic to other anesthetic medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how prilocaine works. Tell your dentist if you are using any of the following:
- Tricyclic medicine for depression
- MAO inhibitor
- Phenothiazine medicine, such as chlorpromazine, perphenazine, promethazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- Blood pressure medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your dentist if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, asthma, drug allergies, heart disease, heart block, high blood pressure, or other circulation problems. Tell your dentist if you are allergic to sulfites or if you have blood problems, such as G6PD or methemoglobinemia.
- Your mouth may be numb for several hours. Be careful to not hurt yourself, such as accidentally biting your lip. Do not chew solid food until you have normal feeling in your mouth again.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing
- Loss of feeling or movement that lasts longer than expected
- Loss of feeling or movement that happens somewhere else in your body
- Shaking, chills, or unexplained sweating
- Tired feeling, confusion, restlessness, nervousness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.