Benzylpenicilloyl polylysine (Injection)
Benzylpenicilloyl Polylysine (ben-zil-pen-i-SIL-oh-il pol-ee-LYE-seen)
Used to test for penicillin allergy.
Pre-PenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to a penicillin skin test.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- The nurse will make a small scratch on your arm and apply the medicine. If there is no reaction after 15 minutes, you will receive an injection under your skin. A reaction is any itching, redness, or swelling where the medicine was applied.
- For the intradermal injection (under your skin), a small amount of medicine is injected into the skin on your forearm. A small bump should appear on your skin. If there is an allergy, you should see a reaction within 5 to 15 minutes.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using medicine for allergies, such as diphenhydramine. Also tell your doctor if you are using an antiinflammatory medicine, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Skin pain, redness, or itching at the site of the test
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.