Caffeine/sodium benzoate (Injection)
Caffeine (KAF-een), Sodium Benzoate (SOE-dee-um BEN-zoe-ate)
Treats breathing problems caused by taking too much narcotic pain medicine or drinking too much alcohol.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to caffeine or sodium benzoate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using medicine for asthma, such as theophylline (Theo-Dur®). Tell your doctor if you are also using aspirin or phenobarbital (Luminal®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease or heart rhythm problems.
- Large doses of this medicine may cause worsened breathing or other unwanted effects. Tell your doctor right away if you have a headache, anxiety, fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat, ringing in the ears, or muscle tremors or twitches.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Muscle twitching, tremors, or shaking
- Worsened breathing problems
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in your vision
- Feeling anxious, excited, or agitated
- Increased sense of pain
- Ringing in your ears
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.