Plasma protein fraction (Injection)
Plasma Protein Fraction (PLAZ-ma PROE-teen FRAK-shun)
Replaces plasma in the blood. Used in a medical emergency.
PlasmanateThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive this medicine if you have congestive heart failure.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine is made from donated human blood. Some human blood products have transmitted viruses or other infections. The risk is very low, because donated blood is carefully tested and cleaned. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain, headache
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.