Beractant (Into the breathing tube)
Treats or helps prevent breathing problems in premature infants.
SurvantaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is used to prevent or treat breathing problems that can be life-threatening. There is no known reason this medicine should not be used.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give your child this medicine. Your child's doctor will prescribe the exact dose, and how often it should be given. This medicine is given directly into your child's lungs through his breathing tube.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Premature infants are at high risk for infections and other health problems. When you visit your child in the hospital, follow all instructions. Talk with your child's caregivers if you have any questions or concerns.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blood or other material in the breathing tube
- Pale skin, or yellowing of the skin or the whites of the eyes
- Slow or fast heartbeat
- Trouble breathing or noisy breathing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Vomiting or swollen belly
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.