Carboprost tromethamine (Injection)
Carboprost Tromethamine (KAR-boe-prost troe-METH-a-meen)
Controls bleeding after childbirth. Also used in therapeutic abortion.
HemabateThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to carboprost, you have heart, lung, kidney, or liver disease, or you have an infection of your uterus or cervix.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of high or low blood pressure, anemia, asthma, diabetes, jaundice, epilepsy, or surgery on your uterus or cervix.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody vomit or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Fever or chills
- Fast heartbeat
- Menstrual-type pain, continued vaginal bleeding, vaginal discharge
- Problems with walking, balance, hearing, or vision
- Uterine contractions (labor pains)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, or breast, back, or body pain
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Redness of your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.