Relaxes muscles during surgery or other medical procedures.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to pancuronium or other bromide medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using an antidepressant medicine such as amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®. Tell your doctor about any other medicines you have received by "shot" or in your vein recently.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have lung, kidney, or liver disease. Tell your doctor if you have a nerve or muscle disease such as myasthenia gravis or Eaton-Lambert syndrome. Your doctor will also need to know if you have a history of heart disease, gallbladder problems, or circulation problems (such as edema).
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme or ongoing muscle weakness.
- Fast or pounding heartbeat.
- Pain, itching, or swelling where the needle is placed.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drooling, or more saliva than usual.
- Mild rash.
- Muscle weakness or stiffness in the days after you receive this medicine.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.