Ezetimibe/simvastatin (By mouth)
Ezetimibe (ez-ET-i-mide), Simvastatin (sim-va-STAT-in)
Lowers high cholesterol and triglyceride levels. May reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and blood vessel problems. This is a combination of a cholesterol absorption inhibitor and a statin.
VytorinThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to ezetimibe or simvastatin, you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or you have active liver disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take the medicine in the evening, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with boceprevir, clarithromycin, cobicistat-containing medicines, cyclosporine, danazol, erythromycin, gemfibrozil, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, posaconazole, telaprevir, telithromycin, voriconazole, or certain medicines to treat HIV/AIDS.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using amiodarone, cholestyramine, colchicine, digoxin, dronedarone, fenofibrate, fenofibric acid, lomitapide, niacin (vitamin B3), ranolazine, a blood thinner (such as warfarin), or blood pressure medicine (such as amlodipine, diltiazem, verapamil).
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, diabetes, thyroid disease, or a history of stroke or heart disease. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol regularly or have a history of liver disease.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Liver problems
- Myopathy or rhabdomyolysis (muscle damage)
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery or medical tests.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Unusual tiredness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.