Diazoxide (By mouth)
Treats low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) caused by certain cancers, surgery, or other conditions.
ProglycemThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to diazoxide or similar medicines such as hydrochlorothiazide, Aldactazide®, Diuril®, Dyazide®, Maxzide®, or Zaroxolyn®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before each use.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet while you are using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Protect the medicine from light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using phenytoin (Dilantin®), a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), or medicine to lower blood pressure. Some blood pressure medicines are atenolol, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), lisinopril, metoprolol, Accupril®, Cozaar®, Diovan®, Lotrel®, Norvasc®, Prinivil®, Toprol®, and Zestril®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have gout, heart disease, congestive heart failure, or kidney disease.
- While you are using this medicine, you will need to test your urine for sugar (glucose) and ketones. This test can be done in your home. It is very important to check your urine on a regular basis and report any abnormal results to your doctor.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, pounding heartbeats.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Shortness of breath, cold sweat, and bluish-colored skin.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Unusual thirst, fruit-like breath odor.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Anxiety, dizziness, trouble sleeping.
- Headache, blurred vision.
- Loss of taste.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, stomach pain.
- Unusual hair growth on the face, arms, legs, or back.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.