Guaifenesin/potassium guaiacolsulfonate (By mouth)
Guaifenesin (gwye-FEN-e-sin), Potassium Guaiacolsulfonate (poe-TAS-ee-um gwye-a-kol-SUL-foe-nate)
Treats cough that is caused by colds, flu, bronchitis, asthma, or other conditions. This medicine is an expectorant that loosens mucus in your lungs.
Humibid LAThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to guaifenesin or potssium guaiacolsulfonate. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- The usual dose of this medicine is one tablet every 12 hours. Do not use more than 2 tablets within 24 hours.
- Swallow the extended-release tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or kidney stones.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Cough that lasts longer than 7 days.
- Cough with fever, skin rash, or ongoing headache.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Nausea, vomiting, upset stomach.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.