Gentamicin/sodium chloride premix (Injection)
Gentamicin (jen-ta-MYE-sin), Sodium Chloride (SOE-dee-um KLOR-ide)
Treats severe infections.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to gentamicin or to similar medicines such as neomycin, kanamycin (Kantrex®), amikacin, or tobramycin. You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into a muscle or into a vein.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. It may also be given by a home health caregiver.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will keep your kidneys working well and help prevent kidney problems.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cisplatin (Platinol®), other antibiotics, or diuretics ("water pills") such as furosemide, Edecrin®, Lasix®, Norvasc®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, myasthenia gravis, congestive heart failure, blood problems, or are allergic to sulfites.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
- Some side effects listed below may happen after you stop using this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Dizziness, trouble standing or walking
- Muscle twitching, spasms, or weakness
- Skin tingling, or numbness in the hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Trouble hearing, ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, swelling, or redness where the shot is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.