Phenazopyridine/sulfisoxazole (By mouth)
Phenazopyridine (fen-ay-zoe-PIR-i-deen), Sulfisoxazole (sul-fi-SOX-a-zole)
Treats urinary tract infections (UTIs). Combination of a sulfa antibiotic and a medicine that helps relieve bladder pain and burning.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any sulfa drug or to phenazopyridine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Drink extra fluids so you will urinate more often and help prevent kidney problems.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking blood thinners such as Coumadin®, diabetes medicine such as glipizide or glyburide, or methotrexate (Rheumatrex®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- This medicine will turn your urine a red or orange color and may stain your clothes. It may also stain contact lenses.
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have liver or kidney problems, asthma, allergies, or a blood problem called glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD).
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you are having surgery and will be given anesthesia, be sure your doctor or dentist knows you are taking this medicine.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing or shortness of breath
- Rash, hives, or unusual skin changes
- Severe diarrhea (possibly bloody)
- Fever, chills, or sore throat
- Vomiting or severe stomach pain
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Blue-colored lips, unusually pale skin
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea or upset stomach
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.