Olmesartan (By mouth)
Olmesartan Medoxomil (ol-me-SAR-tan me-DOX-oh-mil)
Treats high blood pressure. This medicine is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB).
BenicarThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to olmesartan, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Drink plenty of fluids if you exercise, sweat more than usual, or have diarrhea or vomiting while you are using this medicine.
- If your child cannot swallow the tablets, your doctor may prescribe an oral liquid that is prepared by a pharmacist. Shake the oral liquid well before each use. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Missed dose:Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store the oral liquid in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Throw away any unused medicine after 4 weeks.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with aliskiren if you have diabetes.
- Some medicines can affect how olmesartan works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- An NSAID pain or arthritis medicine, such as aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen
- Diuretic (water pill), such as amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene
- If you also use colesevelam, take it at least 4 hours after you take olmesartan.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or heart failure.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Severe chronic diarrhea with weight loss (could occur months to years after you start taking this medicine)
- Worsening of kidney problems
- This medicine could lower your blood pressure too much and cause you to feel dizzy or lightheaded. This is more likely to happen when you first use the medicine or if you become dehydrated. Stand or sit up slowly if you are dizzy.
- Do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor, even if you feel well. This medicine will not cure your high blood pressure, but it will help keep it in normal range. You may have to take blood pressure medicine for the rest of your life.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, bloody or cloudy urine
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Severe diarrhea with weight loss
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.