Amphotericin B (On the skin)
Amphotericin B (am-foe-TER-i-sin B)
Treats skin infections that are caused by fungus.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to amphotericin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to apply and how often. Do not use more medicine or apply it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Apply a generous amount of this medicine to the affected area.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine for a skin problem that has not been checked by your doctor.
- This medicine may cause a temporary change in skin color where the medicine is applied.
- It may also discolor fabrics it comes in contact with. To remove the stain, hand wash the fabric in soap and warm water.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin rash, redness, burning, or itching where the medicine is applied
- Worsening of infected skin lesions
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry skin
- Mild redness, burning, or itching of the skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.