Calcium gluconate (Injection)
Calcium Gluconate (KAL-see-um GLOO-koe-nate)
Treats too little calcium in the blood. Also treats black widow spider bites, lead colic, overdose of magnesium or certain heart medicines, and rickets. This medicine is also used for life support and life-threatening heart conditions.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to calcium gluconate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how calcium gluconate works. Tell your doctor if you are taking digoxin or antibiotics.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Feeling of warmth, tingling, or confusion
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Slow or irregular heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Dry mouth, thirst, chalky taste in your mouth
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Redness, swelling, irritation, or infection on the skin where the injection is given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.