Balsalazide (By mouth)
Treats mild to moderate active ulcerative colitis.
ColazalThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to balsalazide, aminosalicylates, or salicylates (such as aspirin).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or pyloric stenosis. Tell your doctor if you are on a low-sodium diet.
- Check with your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, cramps, fever, headache, or a rash while you use this medicine. These may be symptoms of an acute intolerance syndrome caused by this medicine.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood or urine at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination
- Increased bloody or black diarrhea, fever, or stomach pain
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, or cough
- Tiredness or unusual bruising
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.