Midazolam (By mouth)
Given before surgery or medical procedures to help you become relaxed or sleepy. This drug is a benzodiazepine.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to midazolam or to cherries. You should not use this medicine if you have acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
How to Use This Medicine:
- You will receive this medicine only in a hospital, clinic, or dentist's office. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy (such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, or sedatives).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using midazolam, and for at least 24 hours after you stop using the medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using erythromycin (Erythro-Tab®), itraconazole (Sporanox®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), heart or blood pressure medicine (such as verapamil, Adalat®, Calan®, Cardizem®, Lotrel®, Plendil®, Procardia®, Tiazac®), or medicines to treat HIV/AIDS (Agenerase®, Crixivan®, Fortovase®, Invirase®, Norvir®, Sustiva®, Viracept®).
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, breathing problems, liver disease, or glaucoma.
- This medicine may cause you to forget things for a few hours. This is normal.
- This medicine will make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Coughing, shortness of breath, or shallow breathing
- Uncontrollable muscle movements or twitching
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Nausea or vomiting
- Restlessness, trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.