Treats advanced prostate cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and premature puberty.
Eligard, Lupaneta Pack, Lupron Depot, Lupron Depot-PedThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to leuprolide or similar medicines, you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or you have any unusual vaginal bleeding that has not been checked by your doctor. Certain brands of this medicine (Eligard®, Viadur®) should not be given to children.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Leuprolide injection is given by different methods depending on the condition being treated. Sometimes it is injected into the skin or into a muscle. For some conditions it is given every day, for others it is given once a month or every few months.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You will be shown the body areas where this shot can be given. Use a different body area each time you give yourself a shot. Keep track of where you give each shot to make sure you rotate body areas.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Before each injection, look carefully at the medicine to check for any particles or a change in color. You should not use medicine that has changed color or has particles in it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- The mixed suspension should be discarded if not used right away. Eligard® must be used within 30 minutes after mixing, and Lupron Depot® must be used within 2 hours after mixing.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how leuprolide works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
- Medicine to treat heart rhythm problems
- Medicine to treat depression (such as bupropion)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you have bone problems (such as osteoporosis), heart failure, diabetes, heart or blood vessel disease, heart rhythm problems (such as congenital long QT syndrome), spinal cord problems, trouble urinating, or a history of brain tumors, seizures or epilepsy, or stroke. Tell your doctor if your child has an allergy to benzyl alcohol before using the Lupron® injection for children.
- Your menstrual periods should stop if you are a woman using leuprolide. You may have occasional bleeding or spotting. If you continue to have heavy bleeding or regular periods after 2 months of using this medicine, call your doctor.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Worsening of symptoms
- Changes in blood sugar levels
- Higher risk of heart attack or stroke
- Heart rhythm problem, such as QT prolongation
- Osteoporosis or weakened bones in women
- If you are using this medicine for prostate cancer and plan to have children, talk with your doctor. You might have to wait for a period of time after you stop using this medicine to try to have children.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bone, muscle, or back pain
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, difficult or painful urination
- Chest pain or trouble breathing, fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, and body aches
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Swelling or puffiness in your face, hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Vaginal bleeding that is heavier than spotting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne or pimples
- Decrease in the size of the testicles or trouble getting an erection
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea or vomiting, indigestion, or stomach pain
- Headache, mood changes, mild depression, or unusual tiredness
- Hot flashes or sweating
- Pain, itching, burning, rash, or swelling where the shot was given
- Trouble sleeping
- Vaginal itching, swelling, or discharge
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.