Sevelamer (By mouth)
Lowers the amount of phosphorus in blood of patients receiving kidney dialysis.
Renagel, RenvelaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sevelamer, or if you have a bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- To use the powder for oral liquid: Pour the entire contents of the packet in an empty cup. Mix the powder with 2 tablespoons of water for the 0.8 gram dose or 4 tablespoons of water for the 2.4 gram dose. Stir the mixture vigorously and drink it as soon as you can or within 30 minutes. Be sure to stir the mixture again before drinking if you decide to wait.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- If you are taking other medicines, you may be asked to take them at least 1 hour before or 3 hours after you take sevelamer. If you need help deciding the best times to take your other medicines, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- Use only the brand of medicine your doctor prescribed. Other brands may not work the same way.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using ciprofloxacin (Cipro®), levothyroxine (Levothroid®, Levoxyl®, or Synthroid®), medicine to treat seizures, or medicine for heart rhythm problems.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have trouble with swallowing or other swallowing problems, severe stomach or bowel problems (such as constipation), or have had surgery on your digestive system.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. Blood tests may be needed to check for unwanted effects.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, and sore throat.
- Red or black stools.
- Severe constipation.
- Severe stomach pain, cramping, or burning.
- Vomiting of material that looks like coffee grounds.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, or stomach pain, discomfort, or upset.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.