Fenofibrate (By mouth)
Treats high cholesterol and triglycerides, together with a proper diet.
Tricor, Triglide, Lofibra, Lipofen, Fenoglide, AntaraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fenofibrate, fenofibric acid, or choline fenofibrate. Do not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding or if you have active liver disease or gallbladder disease. Do not use this medicine if you receive dialysis or have severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take Fenoglide® or Lipofen® with a meal. Antara® and Tricor® can be taken with or without a meal.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.Your doctor may also suggest regular exercise as part of your treatment.
- Swallow Tricor® tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew them.
- Do not take Triglide? tablets that are chipped or broken.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep Triglide? tablets in the original bottle.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®), tacrolimus (Prograf®), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®).
- Tell your doctor if you are using other medicines to lower cholesterol (such as atorvastatin, simvastatin, Lipitor®, Mevacor®, Pravachol®, or Zocor®).
- Tell your doctor if you are also using cholestyramine (Questran®), colestipol (Colestid®), or colesevelam (Welchol®). You must take your fenofibrate at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after you take any of these other medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant. Also make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, heart disease, blood clotting problems, thyroid problems, diabetes, or a history of muscle pain or weakness. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.
- Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also feel tired or have a fever. These could be symptoms of serious muscle damage.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, or lightheadedness. These may be symptoms of pancreatitis.
- Call your doctor right away if you have severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting. This medicine may increase your risk of gallstones.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood or urine at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, or loss of appetite
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.