Molindone (By mouth)
Treats symptoms of schizophrenia and other mental conditions.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to molindone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- You may take the tablets with or without food.
- Measure your oral liquid dose carefully, using a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature away from heat, direct light, and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you drink alcohol or take medicines that can make you drowsy such as sleeping pills, some cold or allergy medicines, tranquilizers, strong pain killers, muscle relaxants, or medicine to treat depression. Combining alcohol or medicines that cause drowsiness with molindone may make you too sedated or sleepy.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Check with your doctor before taking molindone if you have liver disease, seizures, an enlarged prostate, or glaucoma.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- This medicine may make you drowsy or dizzy. Avoid driving or using machinery until you know how the medicine affects you.
- Some patients may have a rare side effect that includes muscle spasms, twitching in the face and body, or uncontrolled tongue or jaw movement. If you have questions about this or any other risks involved with taking this medicine, talk to your doctor.
- The liquid form of molindone contains a sulfite. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfites before you take the liquid medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- High fever, muscle stiffness
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Unexplained weakness or tiredness
- Muscle spasms, twitching, or uncontrolled tongue or jaw movement
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Changes in your menstrual period
- Swollen breasts
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/12/2013
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.