Treats low testosterone levels. Also treats breast cancer in women and delayed puberty in male teenagers. Testosterone is a male hormone.
Aveed, Delatestryl, Depo-Testosterone, Novaplus Depo-Testosterone, PremierPro RX Depo-Testosterone, Testone CIK, Testro AQThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to testosterone, benzyl benzoate, or refined castor oil. A man should not receive this medicine if he has breast cancer or prostate cancer. A woman should not receive this medicine if she is pregnant or breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles. It is usually given in the buttocks.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how testosterone works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- Insulin or diabetes medicine that you take by mouth
- Steroid medicine (including dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, diabetes, an enlarged prostate, high cholesterol, lung disease, sleep apnea, or a history of heart attack.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Serious lung reaction called pulmonary oil embolism (may be life-threatening)
- Increased risk of prostate cancer
- Blood clot in your leg or lung
- Slow growth in children
- Liver problems
- Possible increased risk of heart attack or stroke
- This medicine can cause women to develop male characteristics, such as a deep voice and facial hair growth. It can also cause a lower sperm count or swollen breasts in men. Talk to your doctor if you are concerned about this.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, trouble urinating
- Chest pain, cough, trouble breathing, dizziness, tightening of your throat, unusual sweating
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Pain, redness, or swelling in your arm or leg
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne, hoarse voice, facial hair growth (women)
- Changes in menstrual periods
- More erections than usual or erections that last a long time
- Pain or redness where the shot was given
- Swollen breasts (men)
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.