Primaquine (By mouth)
Treats malaria. May be used to treat other kinds of infections.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to primaquine or if you have severe rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. You should not use this medicine if you are also taking quinacrine or medicines that affect your bone marrow such as some anti-cancer drugs.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often. You should not use more of this medicine than your doctor ordered.
- You may take this medicine with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- This medicine should be taken on a regular schedule. Try not to miss any doses. Keep taking the medicine for as long as your doctor has ordered, even if you feel better.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the tablets in a tightly closed container away from heat, direct light, and moisture.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor before taking this medicine if you have a G-6-PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency or if you or any close relative has a type of anemia (a blood disorder) called hemolytic anemia or favism.
- This medicine may cause harmful side effects such as certain kinds of anemia and other blood problems. Your doctor may need to test your blood regularly while you are taking this medicine. Try to keep all of the appointments your doctor makes for you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Dark-colored urine
- Unexplained fever, sore throat, or chills
- Feeling very tired or weak
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, upset stomach, vomiting
- Stomach cramps
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.