Beclomethasone (Into the nose)
Treats symptoms caused by hay fever (allergic rhinitis). Also used to keep nasal polyps from growing back after surgical removal. This medicine is a steroid.
Beconase, Beconase AQ, Qnasl, Vancenase AQ, Vancenase AQ Double StrengthThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to beclomethasone.
How to Use This Medicine:
Powder Under Pressure, Solution, Spray
- Use this medicine as directed. You may need to use this medicine for 1 to 2 weeks before you feel better. Do not stop using it without first asking your doctor.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Qnasl?: Prime the new spray bottle before you use it for the first time. To prime the spray, first remove the dust cap. Hold the bottle upright and pointed away from your face. Spray 4 times into the air or until some medicine comes out. The dose counter on the bottle should show 120 after the spray has been primed.
- Beconase AQ®: Prime the new spray bottle before you use it for the first time. To prime the spray, first remove the safety clip and dust cap. Hold the bottle so it will spray away from your face. Press down on the white collar to spray 6 times into the air or until some medicine comes out.
- If you do not use this medicine for 7 days in a row or longer, you will need to prime the spray again.
- Shake the Beconase AQ® medicine bottle well before each use.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- After using the nasal spray, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue and put the cap back on.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Keep the bottle tightly closed when not using it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Qnasl?: Do not leave the canister inside a car where it could be exposed to extreme heat or cold. Do not poke holes in the canister or throw it into a fire, even if the canister is empty. Throw away the container when the counter shows 0.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma, tuberculosis (now or in the past), an infection (including a cold or the flu), a herpes eye infection, a history of glaucoma or cataracts, or recent exposure to chicken pox or measles. Tell your doctor if you had nose surgery, a nose injury, or sores or ulcers in the nose.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Increased risk of glaucoma or cataracts
- Increased risk of infection
- Adrenal gland problems
- Slow growth in children
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark freckles, skin color changes, coldness, weakness, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, weight loss
- Fever, chills, cough, sneezing, sore throat, and body aches
- Heavy or unexplained bleeding from your nose, bleeding that will not stop
- Red or white patches in your throat
- Slowed growth in children
- Trouble seeing, eye pain, seeing halos around lights
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, dryness, stinging, or irritation in the nose or throat
- Changes in taste or smell
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, face, or waist
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.