Triethanolamine polypeptide oleate (Into the ear)
Triethanolamine Polypeptide Oleate (trye-eth-an-OLE-a-meen pol-ee-PEP-tide OH-lee-ate)
Softens and loosens wax in the ear, so the earwax may be removed easily.
CerumenexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to it in the past or if you have a punctured eardrum or an ear infection (otitis media).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. Use this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Warm the drops by holding the bottle in your hands for a few minutes, but do not heat the medicine to above body temperature.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. Gently pull the earlobe down and back (for children) or up and back (for adults) to straighten the ear canal.
- Do not put the dropper inside your ear. Hold it above the opening into the ear. Drop the correct number of drops into the ear canal.
- Do not get any of the medicine on your skin around the ear. If the drops do get on your skin, wash the area with soap and water right away.
- Leave the drops in your ear for 15 to 30 minutes. Put a cotton plug into the outer ear.
- Do not leave the drops in the ear for more than 30 minutes.
- Gently rinse out the ear with lukewarm water. Do not get any of the medicine on your skin.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows about any allergic reactions, rashes, or ear infections that you have had.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before you use this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash, itching, blistering, bleeding, or pain in the ear
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging or burning in the ear
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.