Cephradine (By mouth)
Treats bacterial infections. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin medicine such as Keflex®, Ceclor®, or Suprax®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- Keep taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to stop, even if you feel better. If you stop taking this medicine too soon, your infection may come back.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before using. Measure your medicine with a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the capsules at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. You may keep the oral liquid in the refrigerator for 14 days. After that, throw away any unused liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills or probenecid (Benemid®, ColBENEMID®) while taking cephradine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Before taking this medicine, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin medicines, or if you have kidney problems.
- If you have severe diarrhea while taking cephradine, check with your doctor before taking medicine to stop the diarrhea.
- Cephradine may cause incorrect results with some urine sugar tests used by patients with diabetes.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash, hives, or blistering of the skin
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
- Severe stomach pain, vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea
- Sore mouth or tongue
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Joint aches and pains
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.