Lactulose (By mouth)
Treats constipation. Also treats problems caused by liver disease.
Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, KristaloseThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Avoid using lactulose if you are following a lactose-free diet.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- To make this medicine taste better, you may mix it with about one-half glass of water, milk, or fruit juice.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If you do not remember the missed dose until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature in a tightly closed container, away from heat or direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Your doctor may tell you to change your diet to include whole grains, bran, fruit, and green leafy vegetables.
- It is best to avoid certain types of antacids, such as Maalox® or Mylanta®. Check with your doctor or pharmacist.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- When you first take lactulose, it may take 24 to 48 hours before you have a normal bowel movement.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have diabetes before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows you are taking lactulose if you have any medical tests or surgery on your colon or rectum.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe or non-stop diarrhea
- Stomach pain or cramps
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Gas or burping
- Loss of appetite
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.