Ergocalciferol (By mouth)
Increases the amount of vitamin D in your body. Also treats problems caused by not having enough calcium in the body (such as rickets). Ergocalciferol is a form of vitamin D.
Calcidol, Calciferol, DrisdolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Liquid, Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Use the dropper that comes with the oral liquid to measure your dose. This medicine may either be mixed with foods such as cereal and fruit juice or dropped into the mouth.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid antacids that contain aluminum (such as Amphojel®, Maalox®, Mylanta®) while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using carbamazepine (Tegretol®), cholestyramine (Questran®), mineral oil, orlistat (Xenical®), phenobarbital (Luminal®, Solfoton®), or a diuretic or "water pill" (such as hydrochlorothiazide [HCTZ]).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all health problems that you have.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bone pain.
- Cloudy urine.
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Severe stomach pain.
- Weakness, headache, extreme tiredness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Nausea and vomiting.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.