Laxative, stool softeners (By mouth)
Treats constipation by helping you have a bowel movement.
Col-Rite, Colace, DSS, Diocto, Diocto Liquid, Doc-Q-Lace, Docu Liquid, Docu-Liquid, Docu-Soft, Docucal, Doculax, Docuprene, Docusil, Docusoft S, DokThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have severe stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting. Stool softeners should not be used if you have severe stomach pain and do not know the cause.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water daily while using any laxative.
- To make the oral liquid taste better, you may mix it with one-half glass of milk or fruit juice.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, medicine cup, or medicine dropper.
If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If you do not remember the missed dose until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a tightly closed container at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not store liquid-filled capsules in the refrigerator.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use mineral oil while you are using a stool softener.
- You should not use a stool softener within 2 hours before or after taking any other medicines. Laxatives can keep other medicines from working correctly.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not give laxatives to children under 6 years old unless you talk to your doctor.
- You should not use this laxative for longer than 1 week unless approved by your doctor. Laxatives may be habit-forming and can harm your bowels if you use them too long.
- Stool softeners usually work in 1 to 2 days, but for some people, results can take as long as 3 to 5 days.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Sore throat
- Skin rash
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.