Medroxyprogesterone (By mouth)
Treats irregular menstrual periods, and bleeding caused by a hormone imbalance. Also treats some forms of cancer, and uterine disorders. This medicine is a progestin, which is a female hormone.
ProveraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to medroxyprogesterone. Do not use this medicine if you have liver disease, blood clots, or cancer of the breast, uterus, or ovary. You should not use this medicine if you have vaginal bleeding that has not been checked by a doctor. Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Carefully follow your doctor's orders for when to take this medicine. Your dose and the number of days in a row you take it will depend on the condition you are being treated for. Try to take the medicine at the same time each day while you are using it.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using aminoglutethimide (Cytadren®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breast feeding, or if you have migraine headaches, epilepsy, asthma, kidney disease, heart disease, diabetes, or a history of depression.
- Menstrual bleeding should start within 3 to 7 days after you take your last tablet. Tell your doctor if your period has not started within 7 days after you finish the medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Using this medicine over long periods of time may increase your risk of some kinds of cancer. Talk with your doctor about this risk.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or coughing up blood.
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body.
- Pain in your lower leg (calf).
- Rapid weight gain.
- Sudden or severe headache, problems with vision, speech, or walking.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Vaginal bleeding that lasts a long time.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne or changes in hair growth.
- Breast tenderness or discharge.
- Depression, trouble sleeping.
- Mild skin rash.
- Unexpected vaginal bleeding.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.