Betamethasone/clotrimazole (On the skin)
Betamethasone Dipropionate (bay-ta-METH-a-sone dye-PROE-pee-oh-nate), Clotrimazole (kloe-TRIM-a-zole)
Treats fungus infections. This is a combination of a steroid and an antifungal medicine.
LotrisoneThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to clotrimazole or betamethasone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Shake the bottle of lotion well just before use.
- Do not cover, wrap, or wear tight fitting clothes over your treated skin areas unless directed by your doctor. Allow the medicine to dry before you put on your clothes.
- It is very important that you keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment to clear up your skin problem completely. Do not miss any doses.
- This medicine is not for long-term use. Do not use the cream to treat jock itch and ringworm for more than 2 weeks, and for athlete's foot for more than 4 weeks, unless your doctor has told you to.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store the lotion bottle upright.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how betamethasone and clotrimazole combination works. Tell your doctor if you are using other steroids.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver problems, diabetes, or a skin infection.
- Do not use this medicine on anyone younger than 17 years of age.
- This medicine may cause adrenal gland problems, such as Cushing syndrome or high blood sugar.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- If your symptoms do not improve after 1 or 2 weeks of treatment, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Color changes on the skin, dark freckles, easy bruising, muscle weakness
- Round, puffy face
- Severe itching, burning, or skin irritation
- Signs of infection such as redness, swelling, drainage, or pus
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, face, or waist
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Numbness, tingling, or stinging at the application site
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.