Gemfibrozil (By mouth)
Lowers high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood.
LopidThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use if you had an allergic reaction to gemfibrozil, or if you have gallbladder disease, severe kidney disease, or liver disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Take this medicine 30 minutes before the morning and evening meals, unless your doctor tells you differently.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with repaglinide or simvastatin.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how gemfibrozil works. Tell your doctor if you are using colchicine, a statin medicine, or a blood thinner (such as warfarin). If you are taking colestipol, take it at least 2 hours before or after taking gemfibrozil.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol regularly.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Higher risk of gallbladder disease
- Myositis or myopathy (muscle damage)
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
- Unusual tiredness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/4/2014
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Copyright © 1984- Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.