Cefixime (By mouth)
Treats bacterial infections. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
SupraxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin medicine such as Keflex®, Ceclor®, or Velosef®.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- Shake the oral liquid before each use. Measure the liquid with a measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Keep taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to stop, even if you feel better. If you stop taking this medicine too soon, your infection may come back.
If a dose is missed:
- Cefixime works best if a constant amount is in your system; try not to miss a dose.
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store this medicine at room temperature, away from heat or direct light.
- Keep the oral liquid at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused liquid that is more than 14 days old.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills or probenecid (Benemid®, ColBENEMID®) while taking cefixime.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Before taking this medicine, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin medicines.
- Cefixime may cause incorrect results with some urine sugar tests used by patients with diabetes.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you have had kidney problems or stomach problems such as colitis.
- If you have severe diarrhea while taking cefixime, check with your doctor before taking medicine to stop the diarrhea.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash, hives, or blistering of the skin
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea
- Nausea, upset stomach
- Sore mouth or tongue
- Vaginal itching or discharge
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
Copyright © 1984-
Thomson Micromedex. All rights reserved.