Clobetasol propionate (On the skin)
Clobetasol Propionate (kloe-BAY-ta-sol PROE-pee-oh-nate)
Treats psoriasis and irritation from skin diseases. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
Clobex, Clodan, Cormax Scalp Application, Embeline Scalp Application, Olux, Olux-E, Temovate, Temovate EThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to clobetasol.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Foam, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Lotion, Ointment, Shampoo, Spray
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not cover, wrap, or wear tight fitting clothes over your treated skin areas unless directed by your doctor. Allow the cream or liquid to dry before you put on your clothes.
- Cream, foam, shampoo, or spray: Do not use this medicine on your face, underarms, or groin area unless your doctor tells you to.
- Foam: Do not dispense the foam directly into your hands, unless your hands are the affected area.
- Shampoo: Apply the shampoo to your dry scalp. Part your hair so that you only treat the affected areas. Apply a small amount to the area, massage gently, and leave it on for 15 minutes. Add water, lather, and rinse well.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine. Make sure your skin is clean and dry before you apply this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Do not inhale this medicine or use it near heat or an open flame. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- It is very important that you keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment to clear up your skin or scalp problem completely. Do not miss any doses.
- Do not use this medicine for more than 2 weeks at a time unless directed by your doctor.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- The foam is flammable. Avoid flames and smoking when you apply the medicine. Do not poke holes in the can or throw it into a fire, even if the can is empty.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with other steroids unless directed by your doctor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, an adrenal problem (such as Cushing disease), diabetes, or a skin infection.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Adrenal gland problems
- Skin infection
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery or medical tests.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. Tell your doctor if your skin condition does not improve within 2 weeks.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Burning, pain, redness, or thinning of the skin
- Color changes on the skin, dark freckles, easy bruising, muscle weakness
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Fever, cough, runny nose, sore throat
- Increase in thirst or how often you urinate
- Round, puffy face
- Weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, face, or waist
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild acne, pain, redness, swelling, or burning on the application site
- Swollen hair pores, excess hair growth
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/28/2016
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.